Jabber

jeremy at itassist.net.au jeremy at itassist.net.au
Thu Oct 18 11:06:41 EST 2001

On 18 Oct, Matthew Hawkins wrote:

> What firewall allows all traffic on port 80 through anyway?  It
> depends on the setup, however most places I've been to disable traffic
> on that port except via an authenticated proxy server.  So your jabber
> program would still break unless you performed special magic in it to
> let it go via a proxy server.  This is no different to having to proxy
> irc connections to get through the firewall.  In either case, it's a
> stalemate.

Well, the magic for a proxy server isn't that advanced - full featured
http libraries should be able to authenticate through a compliant proxy
server.

> I've never seen it, in any case the compression used would have to be
> client dependent because both sides need to know.  So you're
> immediately cutting out access to people who aren't in your special
> "compression club" (this sounds more and more like a GPL-infected
> thing)

Part of the HTTP standard is primitive negotiation of features, which
allows the client and server to use the advanced features that they both
share. Not many client libraries support compression over HTTP but it is
there. Apache even has a mod_compress to do on-the-fly compression of
files that it sends.

> Last time I used it, it was 6 pages.  I had to stop using it as
> ~/.xsession-errors was growing beyond 16Mb of XML crap from it just in
> 15 minutes of mucking around.

Why was it logging to xsession-errors?  Are you talking about debugging
a client like Gabber?

--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,