Jabber

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Thu Oct 18 09:01:34 EST 2001

jeremy at itassist.net.au <jeremy at itassist.net.au> wrote:

> That was it.  Jabber can even work thorugh masquerading firewalls, which
> has to be deliberately set up for IRC.

Not true at all. I regularly use IRC through masquerading firewalls,
with no special set-up for it.

You only need to mess with the firewall if you want DCC to work in both
directions. It'll work one way (I can't remember which, I don't use it)
with no special effort though.

Piggybacking anything on the back of HTTP is evil, evil, evil. It means
people start putting filters on the HTTP proxy to re-assert control over
network traffic. Those filters never really do the job they're supposed
to, and manage to mess up other stuff at the same time. Not good.
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam at topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |