Jabber

jeremy at itassist.net.au jeremy at itassist.net.au
Wed Oct 17 21:10:30 EST 2001

On 17 Oct, Kearns, Terry wrote:
>> That's yet another reason why it should be eliminated.

> Who wins, the ignorant majority or the "correct" minority?
> What is the "correct" answer, and if the correct answer is (b), then
> is the correct answer the correct outcome given that there are more
> people who perceive the correct answer to be different?

This sounds a lot like the lisp people telling anyone who will listen
that lisp is the one pure language etc etc.  ditto eiffel smalltalk etc.
By the proliferation of other lanugages I'm guessing there's something
for the 'not perfect but is easy' camp.

Similar jokes abound about Gnome the ideologically pure desktop vs. KDE,
the corrupt but rather nice desktop.

OTOH, GNU the idealogically pure OS is making great strides against
other corrupted OS.  It's only taken 20 yrs.

> On the firewall issue, I think Jeremy was inferring that a messaging
> system that can piggy back http is more likely to succeed in most
> situations where http traffic on port 80 has been permitted and most
> everything else is blocked (like in a work environment where you have
> no say in the firewall config).

That was it.  Jabber can even work thorugh masquerading firewalls, which
has to be deliberately set up for IRC.

> vocabulary (schema) needs to be improved, or they need to improve
> their usage of it if they want to make bandwidth usage more efficient.
> I think that a 6-page packet for "hello world" should be viewed as
> unacceptable for any self-respecting IM developer.

I'm quite sure that Jabber has a compressed transmission mode.  All
those pointy brackets and whitespaces would compress beautifully.

In any case the six pages is the usual hyperbole passed aroung by people
who never actually bothered to check - I have sat there with the
debugger and it's a lot more like six *tags* for a hello packet, one tag
per line.  That's still a lot, but reasonable since each tag has a
purpose.

--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,