Jabber

John Griffiths john at capmon.com
Thu Oct 18 03:11:23 EST 2001

>> I rather liked ICQ - it sort of landed in the middle between email and
>> IRC.  Now it has tried to expand to encompass both while stuffing ads
>> into people's faces and as a result it sucks.
>
>I always hated it.  It's a poor man's IRC which became popular on MS
>Windows by internet newbies who thought this was a brand new cool thing
>in 1996, not a poor implementation of something that had been around
>since 1991 and at least had the decency to submit an RFC.

what you're desribing is a closed-source strength,

the underlying tech of ICQ may well have been inferior

but they packaged it up, made it simple to use and integrated a number of functions to make it attractive to people who wanted to get on with exchanging naked pictures of themselves and not have to worry about the protocol.

now they've overburdened the client trying to keep up with MS (the overlords of bloat) but thats another story...