Jabber

jeremy at itassist.net.au jeremy at itassist.net.au
Wed Oct 17 16:39:03 EST 2001

On 17 Oct, Matthew Hawkins wrote:

> Of course, all these IM things are simply due to lamers not
> understanding that the internet already has a standard way of
> communicating in instant messages, as described in RFC 1459.

Most IM things are actually due to RFC 1459 being unworkable in today's
environments.  It doesn't work through firewalls, it's vulnerable to
netsplits, people with personality problems and badly written clients.

I rather liked ICQ - it sort of landed in the middle between email and
IRC.  Now it has tried to expand to encompass both while stuffing ads
into people's faces and as a result it sucks.

In regards to the fact that ICQ support keeps breaking, it's because AOL
keeps moving the goalposts, so the developers are always one step
behind.

--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,