Home network - big question!

David gadicath at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 16:17:51 EST 2001

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Everard Edwards wrote:
> .  I'd like to network them using 2 NICs and a crossover
> cable (can't afford a hub right now....).

Hubs aren't that expensive, I picked one up for $30 second hand from a
guy at the markets.  His name was Lars Stahre, Works for "Mightysoft",
he had a few with him.  Their site is mightysoft.lethalleisel.com

> I'd like to set up Samba (never done it before) so that the dual boot
> machine can access the web (dial -up - should I use diald?  or is
> there another

Not sure how you'd do it using samba.. I use a masqdialer "mserver" to
tell my gateway to dial up the ISP.  mserver just uses your normal
method of connecting to the net, in my case some chat scripts.  There's
a client for windows for mserver and ones for linux.  Then you'd just
need to setup masquerading, and possibly some basic NAT.

Masquerade how-to:
http://www.linuxguru.com/docs/howto/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO

Ipchains and iptables both normally come with some docs, of varying
usefulness.

> way for this machine to initiate a connection) and printers through
> the Linux only machine - and possibly programs/drive space on this

Samba would do the printers quite nicely, the samba docs are pretty good
on how to setup printers.  Also look at "swat" and webmin-samba, they're
both nice GUI's for setting samba up.

> More specifically, what IP addresses should I use - will they cause
> problems with an IP being assigned when accessing my ISP - how do I

There are two ip blocks you can use for local networks, 192.168.x.x and
10.0.x.x (Not sure about this one).  They wont have any affect on the ip
that you use with the ISP.  For me I specify these ip's in
/etc/networking/interfaces, but I'm using Debian so it could be
different for you.

> Will my network be secure (the only outside access should be via
> dial-up)? etc etc.

It will be secure to a certain degree, perhaps more secure than if the
windows box was handling this.  You could use ipchains/iptables to setup
a firewall to block certain connections/packets to make your network
more secure.  There are many how-to's on this, with a few being on the
linux documentation project, www.linuxdoc.org.

--
Don't tell me I'm burning the candle at both ends -- tell me where to
get more wax!!