[Q] Processes etc.....

Michael Cohen mic109 at rsphy1.anu.edu.au
Sun Oct 14 21:22:43 EST 2001

Donovan,
	The below two processes are kernel userspace processes. That means they
arent actually real processes but pseuo processes which are started from the
kernel. The first, keventd is a process looking after events such as pcmcia
insertions etc (i think). ksortirqd_CPU0 looks after software Interrupt for
CPU0 in an SMP pair. The fact these are kernel processes incidentally means
you cant kill them. More information can be found by grepping through the
kernel source tree.

To find out the interfaces do a netstat -anp. Look for the lines which are
LISTENing and if the local IP is 0.0.0.0 this means all interfaces. If a
process is only bound to a single interface it will say its IP there.

All (?) modern Linux distribution start via the SysV system A usefull article
is:
http://www.linux-mag.com/2000-12/start_02.html

but there are many sources.

Michael