Domain name issues.

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Sat Oct 13 23:23:15 EST 2001

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 10:04:55PM +1000, Rasjid wrote:
> We are in the process of getting our new E-Smith server to do our
> internal mail.  Currently all our mail goes through TPG as well.
> However, our internet connection is through Telstra.
>
> What we want is any mail addressed to austethical.com.au to be delivered
> locally.

easy enough to do

> So my question is:
> Can we set the name of our server to be server.austethical.com.au? (It
> is behind a firewall and does not have a public address.)  Would this
> cause a problem, even though www.austethical.com.au would be on a
> completely different network?

I reccomend against doing this.

> If this is okay, then presumably any mail sent to the server with
> address austethical.com.au would be delivered locally, and our problem
> is solved.  If not, then I will have to read up about Qmail.

in exim for example just add the domain to the localdomains variable in the
config file.

so something like

local_domains = localhost:machinename:austethical.com.au

This causes exim to use the local delivery driver rather than some other
driver when mail is addressed to some address in the domain. For email sent
form outside the company to you I would suggest fetching it in some manner to
the ocmputer and pushing it through the SMTP daemon on this machine so all
email ends up there in one central point for people in the offcie to grab.

Not hard, can't help you with qmail as it has an evil licence so I dont use
it.

        See You
            Steve

--