Security issue

Rasjid rasjidw at bigpond.com
Sat Oct 13 21:46:29 EST 2001

Howard Brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >From what I can tell, Samba under Linux only allows file security rights for
> Read, Write and Execute. NT security allows control for Delete rights as
> well. I it possible with Samba under Linux to control whether a user can
> delete files in  share while stll maintaining Write privileges? We would
> like to get away from NT Server but this one obstacle is standing in our
> way.

Presumably if you have write privileges you can overwrite it with an
empty file (or just garbage).  So it really only protects the file from
acidental deletion.

A good backup system is roughly equivalent, and also protects against
being overwritten with garbage.

So I can't quite see how this limitation is such a huge loss that it is
the only obstacle to using Linux in place of an NT server.

We are now happily using E-Smith (aka Mitel SME Server) at work instead
of an NT server.

Rasjid.