Hiding private addresses Was Re: Port Scan

rod at tpgi.com.au rod at tpgi.com.au
Fri Oct 12 10:03:04 EST 2001

<snip>

David Gibson wrote:

> More likely an ISP that's using the private address for a hop inside
> their network and haven't configured their routers properly to hide it
> from the outside world.

Is the requirement to hide all private addresses completely or just to
ensure that you never exchange/advertise external routing info about
them?

We use them internally on hops that have no need for a visible IP (ie
intra router links). Traceroutes from outside do show the IP just as in
the above example but we dont advertise them outside that LAN (just
a couple of static routes).

Do we need to somehow block traceroute etc replys from these
machines as well? If so any suggestions on how?

Cheers
-RodT