Mac CDROM read problem

Brett Worth brettw at cray.com.au
Wed Oct 10 21:07:49 EST 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, David Gibson wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 07:01:34PM +1000, Brett Worth wrote:
> > I've been handed a CDROM which was created on a Mac.  It will mount as
> > iso9660 but the filenames contain all sorts of bad characters including
> > "/"s which break things altogether.
> >
> > I've compiled hfs support into my kernel but I dont think that's going to
> > help.  Its definitely mounting under iso9660.
>
> Most Mac CDs are "hybrid" - they can be mounted as either ISO9660 or
> as HFS.  However the long filenames and other metadata will only be
> visible when mounted HFS.

Ok. So the CD was mounted as iso9660 and the hfs driver was doing the long
filename bit.  It still had the "/"'s in the filenames problem.

I  solved the problem by finding someone with a mac notebook and an ftp
client that could copy whole directory trees.  It did filename mangling
on the bad characters too. / = %2F

Brett