[Q] Keyboard does not respond from the console

Patrick Cole z at amused.net
Wed Oct 10 01:31:58 EST 2001

Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 11:19:23PM +1000, jeremy at itassist.net.au wrote:

> On  7 Oct, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 11:02:30PM +1000, Donovan J. Edye wrote:
> >> G'Day,
> >>
> >> Just to add to this. The NUM lock toggles just until prior to the
> >> login prompt appearing. Then it will not toggle. Furthermore I found
> >> the following in the logs and cannot help wondering if it is related.
>
> Chiming in slightly late here.  I had this problem when installing
> Progeny Debian earlier this year, and ended up giving away my copy
> because of it.  Back with Debian, it occured when I upgraded to XFree
> 4.02  (or was it 4.03?) from 4.01
>
> I'm pretty sure it was the Xservers fault, because when I downgraded
> everything worked again.
>
> I think you will find if you repeatedly hammer Ctrl+Alt+F1 during the
> boot sequence you will end up in a vterm where you can type normally.
> If this is the case, take the opportunity to do something about your
> version of X.

I've had the keyboard locked problem too, however I observed that it
only happened when my mouse wasn't plugged in.  So I guess it's logical
that it should be gpm's fault, but I never made the connection.

--
Patrick Cole - Debian Developer <ltd at debian.org>
             - John Curtin, ANU <Patrick.Cole at anu.edu.au>