ADSL and its alternatives?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Tue Oct 9 20:14:48 EST 2001

Forgive if you get some prices wrong. Feel free to correct me.

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 07:05:20PM +1000, Paul Lawton wrote:
> Guys and Gals,
>
> A good friend of mine is considering getting ADSL connected to his home. He is weighing up the cost of this against
> the cost (dollars and waiting time) of a second telephone line.

> What are the benefits of ADSL? What are its drawbacks? Is IDSN an option?

ADSL:
- Uses you existing phoneline, no need to install a new one
- Can get nice 512k link all inclusive of 3G for under $100 per month

ISDN: (not sure of exact prices, but they're not far off)
- Need to install ISDN line.   $57/month line rental
- Onramp Xpress plan, 1 channel (64k): $104/month plan price + $165/month call charges
- ISP to connect to: depends, can be $400/month permanent, depends where you go

Note that the ISDN here is based on a permanent connection, like the ADSL.
If you're only connecting a few hours a month, there are substantially
cheaper plans. Can also be under $100/month for around 50 hours.

But in bang for buck, imho, adsl comes out way ahead. ISDN does offer static
IP. Not sure of the pricing for static IP for ADSL.

Which one looks better to you?

Transact I really can't say.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>