Too Many Processes open / What do to?

Neil Symons neil at goldweb.com.au
Sun Oct 7 19:36:46 EST 2001

Has anyone experienced when processes don't die and eventually causes process count to fill up to an extent where the whole system stops working?

It now happens often and I think its some sort of exploit being executed as the system has not changed in a while and this only happens during times where someone capable of getting the system up is around?

Most of the processes left are /USR/SBIN/CRON and /usr/sbin/in.qpopper
The processes run and return to ownership of root, but are no longer required.

Anyone has a suggestion to what I need to look for?

-- Neil