Modem issue in Debian PPC

jeremy at itassist.net.au jeremy at itassist.net.au
Fri Oct 5 09:45:21 EST 2001

On  4 Oct, Stephen York wrote:
> Hi, I recently setup Debian PPC 2.2 R3 on my G4 PMac.
> Initially I was able to setup a ppp connection and do some upgrades.
> Afte installing Kernel 2.4.8, and many other things, my modem
> connectino has disappeared, and I can't work out how to get it back.
>
> I'm primarily running KDE 2.  I'm basically having truouble getting a
> response from the modem.  I've tried ttyS0 - 3, but can't actually
> query the modem. I've tried using minicom as well, but can't actually
> make it happen.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like you lost your serial port driver or similar in the upgrade.
Grab the howto and check that you have the correct modules
loaded/installed in the kernel.

Also the "and many other things" might mean that something uninstalled
your modem software (unlikely in debian).  Go back through and reinstall
everything. Without logs or other info that's the best we can do for
you.

--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,