Bandwidth monitoring

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Thu Oct 4 08:18:11 EST 2001

Darrell Burkey wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>
> > ntsysv settings.
>
> You sure? I'm talking about kernel modules here, not services. I know
> RedHat puts scripts in the inet.d directories but these are typically to
> start up ipchains or iptables based packet firewalls rather than to insert
> kernel modules.

That will teach me not to open my mouth when I do not know what I am
talking about.

I was under the impression that ntsysv gives the possibility of loading
the kernel module and you then need a script to actually run
<ipchains/iptables>.  I was also under the impression that you have to
settle for one or the other; you cannot have both.

It works for me - because I have shamelessly exploited the good nature
of people who know what they are doing.

I attach herewith is the start of my iptables script on the off-chance
that it contains the missing link that you were looking for:

#Assumes a 10/8 LAN on eth0 and dialup IP on ppp0

#Be secure, ish
PATH=/sbin:$PATH; export PATH

modprobe ip_conntrack
modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
modprobe iptable_nat

hostname=`eureka.cabbage.patch` #using ` and not "
any="0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0"

#Flush things
iptables -F
iptables -F -t nat