Bandwidth nazi

Steven Hanley sjh at wibble.net
Thu Oct 4 09:28:26 EST 2001

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 06:37:37PM +0100, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> I've had an idea that's really a bit impolite. Basically I get ADSL and
> sublet to my neighbours... This is all ok for me (the deal is unfettered -
> not an imitation of it).
>
> I'm presented with a potential speed bump in the form of my house mate who's
> being very cagey about computers since he started using OS X - on a dual
> processor G4 - so much potential wasted :(
>
> He's decided our otherwise pleasant neighbour would hog the line and leave
> him stranded with an ADSL line he can't use whenever he wishes. Arguments
> about subsidies don't make much sense to him (don't know why). He also has
> this weird idea that the other people would hack into his machine and
> destroy it. He has all kinds of theories about computers that are quaint and
> amusing the first time you hear them.
>
> To overcome these potential hassles I was wondering how to set up a
> firewall/NAT router to give preferential bandwidth. I recall that this sort
> of thing is technically shaky, and it's unlikely there would be a problem
> anyway, but rationality hasn't really been an issue so far and I'm not too
> sure if it will be a factor in future.
>
> Anyway it just sounds like a nifty trick. I'm a complete newbie at this
> whole firewall/throttling/NAT/ADSL gig so please write in small words of
> only one or two syllables.  A quick grep of 'man ipchains' didn't turn up
> anything relevant for me.

look at the iptables stuiff, including the howtos on netfilter.samba.org, also
the advanced routing howto and similar documents (probably can be found on
www.linuxdoc.org).

The new routing stuff and iptables have the ability to route by traffic type
source, destination, etc in a nice way. As for bandwidth allocation the best
way to do it is using the QoS stuff in the kernel with alexey's new tools also
AFAIU. Probably mentioned in the above howtos.

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh