Problems Building Kernel 2.4.9

Simon Fowler simon at bg77.anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 3 09:55:30 EST 2001

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 11:13:50PM +1000, Donovan J. Edye wrote:
> G'Day All,
>
> I have decided to take the plunge and build my very first kernel. I
> downloaded the source to 2.4.9 and then used make menuconfig to set what I
> wanted. Followed this with:
>
> make dep
> make clean
> make modules
> make bzImage
> make bzlilo
>
> However when when my Debian system comes up (well it doesn't) I get the
> error modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-1. I have physically
> searhed the disk and cannot find a module by that name. It appears that it
> may be related to "Packet Filtering" on the network page as used by tcpdump
> when it (Packet Filtering) is installed as a module. Well it is not
> installed as a module, so I am now rather lost. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction please?

Does it come up at all? The modprobe error you're talking about
is non-fatal, but since you haven't done make modules_install I
can't help wondering if you have an unbootable box . . .

My normal build method is this:
make menuconfig dep bzImage modules modules_install install

In any case, the best thing you can do right now is to read the
README in the source tarball. It covers all of this stuff and
more.

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or ftp://bg77.anu.edu.au/pub/himi/himi.asc
(crappy) Homepage: http://bg77.anu.edu.au