TransACT network

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Tue Oct 2 14:54:10 EST 2001

Mark Purcell wrote:

> He said I guess TransACT can't meet the Telstra ADSL price.
>
> Analysis. Telstra have already penetrated the Canberra market
> at below TransACT
> costs and picked up all the early adopters, such as myself.

Analysis: Telstra have the deepest pockets and an interest in
keeping competition out of their market.

> your services.  I find it amazing that TransACT aren't
> interesting in managing
> the ISP leg and make you go and find an independent ISP.

Not really. Part of the problem (IMHO) has always been that Telstra
wasn't split into infrastructure and a services companies.
When they sell an unbundled DSL for almost the same price as
one that includes "unlimited" BogPond, how does one compete?

I believe they didn't want to set up an ISP as well. Who knows,
we may yet see a "preferred" ISP and attendant entanglements.

> Mark

Antti