After a power failure or reset...

Damien Elmes resolve at repose.cx
Tue Oct 2 00:45:43 EST 2001

Rasjid <rasjidw at bigpond.com> writes:

> A couple of weeks ago I had a power failure while I was using my
> computer here.  Needless to say it was not a clean unmounting.
>
> Now, as far as I can tell, everything is functioning just fine.
> However, is there stuff I should check?  I know with earlier version of
> RedHat (I'm currently running RH7.1) a reboot without a clean shutdown
> used to cause all sorts of problems (services would fail to start etc).
>
> All I want is either a HOWTO or similar doc, or to be told that if
> everything looks okay, then it probably is.  :-)

hello rasjid, i can't speak for the raid stuff, but perhaps this will
help.

most modern distributions run some form of 'flushing' daemons, which
commit some data that is stored in memory to disk. this comes at a
minor cost to performance, but it makes the possibility of
catastrophic failure much less likely.

if your system started up fine, then chances are there were no
problems. e2fsck which runs upon startup, will tend to fail and ask
you to fix things manually if things go wrong - usually you just lose
a file or two. at least, that's the way debian does it. redhat might
run with -y.

your problems with the quota system are indeed bizarre. my guess is
that the lilo trouble was due to the upgrade, not the associated quota
troubles.

i hope this helps. cheers!

(my e-mails are starting to bear a striking resemblance to the e-mails
i have to answer at work. maybe it is time to escape the tech suport
world ;-)

--
Damien Elmes
resolve at repose.cx