tools for monitoring monthly traffic

Damien Elmes resolve at repose.cx
Fri Nov 30 22:51:13 EST 2001

anto at schol.hups.net writes:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 09:30:25PM +1100, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
>
> > > i got a friendly letter from the telstra ADSL folks today, indicating
> > > they've "updated and improved" their usage meter. so i go have a look,
> > > and low-and-behold, the old CGI based method has been taken away. in
> > > its place are a windows or mac executable.
>
> > Alternately, work out how the Windows program communicates with Telstra and
> > write a Linux utility to do the same.  ;-)
>
> As far as I can tell (after installing the wonderful new package telstra
> provided) the only thinkgs installed are a few pretty icons & a couple of
> .htm (it is doze after all) files which just bounce you through to the
> existing traffic monitoring pages - although to install the 14.6k of files
> you get to download just over a meg for the privlage...

after speaking to a windows using friend it appears you're right. it's
just the page it links to (the original traffic monitoring setup) is
DOWN.

it never ceases to amaze me the sort of behaviour telstra is able to
get away with (things breaking the moment they announce them,
misleading 3gig caps, which from what i've heard take outgoing traffic
into consideration too, constant changes to the AUP at their whim).

*grumble*

and just when i'd hacked together a perl script to total my pppstats +
stuff in /var/log/messages :)

thanks for the input though, everyone,

--
Damien Elmes