Can linux update rewritable CDs?

Damien Elmes resolve at repose.cx
Fri Nov 30 00:38:54 EST 2001

Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org> writes:

> Someone asked me whether I could use a linux machine to add a file to a
> rewritable CD, like you do with those programs in windows.
>
> cdrecord seems totally geared towards writing complete tracks, partial
> updates don't seem to be supported.
>
> Any ideas? Is it just a matter of adding another session with just the files
> you want (with the right directory tree) and expect the readers to sort it
> all out?
> --

i'm pretty sure rewriteable CDs have been supported for ages, although
it's not always immediately obvious what's going on, what with the
sleuth of options you can pass to it. for a long time i've been using
some homemade scripts to mkisofs and cdrecord, but was recently swayed
over to "gcombust" after i grew tired of figuring out how to burn a
multi session CD.

i've seen a "blank rewriteable CD" button in there somewhere, so if
you're after a quick-fix, that might be the go.

> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
> http://svana.org/kleptog/
> > Terrorists can only take my life. Only my government can take my
> freedom.

... well, except if they tie you up. :-). but good observation of the
probable loss of civil liberties, anyway.

cheers!

--
Damien Elmes
resolve at repose.cx