MS only e-government

Alex Satrapa alex at topic.com.au
Thu Nov 29 17:41:30 EST 2001

On Thursday, November 29, 2001, at 04:32 , Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
wrote:

> AFAIK, all government web sites must be navigable
> in a text only mode so that vision impared people
> are able to use them. This requirement doesn't
> extend to private sites:
>
> 	http://www.finance.gov.au/accessibility.html

http://www.dcita.gov.au/accessability/

 From what I can read (and especially given the sentiment expressed by an
"accessibility" website that uses graphics for navigation), the
Government Accessibility requirements are simply that you try to make
the site accessible if you can afford to (and guess what the answer to
that is?)

The Australian Government spent a whopping huge $1.5 Million dollars on
the AccessAbility program last year.

If the Government only cares enough for blind people to fork out $1.5M,
how much are they going to care about a bunch of recalcitrant hippies
who use Linux?

Alex