journalling file systems

Matthew Hawkins matthew at topic.com.au
Thu Nov 29 15:30:18 EST 2001

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Kim Holburn wrote:
> So does that mean that ext3 doesn't handle very large files?

I thought that the issue there was the VFS, not any particular
filesystem.  That's fixed in 2.4, possibly earlier.

Although I guess it depends on your definition of "very large file"

:-)

The VFS layer in 2.4 is now 64-bit so iirc that'll address much more
than the largest single hard disk available now can hold.

I'm not sure how LVM affects the calculation though (ie, whether it
handles the mapping or if the VFS expects to talk to the device
directly) so if you have a large enough LVM filesystem (ie, breaking the
64-bit barrier) I'm not sure what happens.

Although, if I was running a system that big I'd prefer to trust it to
Solaris ;)

--
Matt