journalling file systems

andrew at bishop.dropbear.id.au andrew at bishop.dropbear.id.au
Thu Nov 29 14:27:54 EST 2001

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Bob Edwards wrote:

[...]
> We also have a couple of workstations set up with RH7.2 with ext3. No
> problems so far. I believe that ext3 filesystems can be mounted with
> ext2 after an fsck - but don't quote me - I haven't tried it yet.

ext3 was designed as an extension of ext2 - it's basically an ext2
filesystem with journalling tacked on.

ext3 filesystems *can* be mounted as ext2, but if they weren't unmounted
cleanly, it won't use the journal to fix any problems, it'll just do
normal ext2 fsck stuff.  I don't know much about different journalling
filesystems, but ext3 isn't a good choice unless you need that
compatability.

Andrew