LINUX BUSINESS

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Wed Nov 28 22:08:29 EST 2001

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:34, Jim Watson wrote:
<snip>
> I go to the tax office to lodge my superannuation
> forms which MUST be lodged "electronically" but
> the program is available only for MS windows and
> Mac, it is +20Mgbytes of program download to
> generate about 1kb of fixed width text file.

I have been meaning to question the ATO about this for a while, as I believe
that much of the software is written in Java, and I think it is mostly the
install and configuration that is platform specific, but I could be wrong.
Anyway, I was planning to include the cost of VMWare as a deduction in next
years tax return as a result.

> My question is this: can anyone point me to a
> lobby GROUP i could join in CANBERRA that will try
> and get the govt information and others to be
> accessable to USERS of different platforms such as
> LINUX?

I'd be willing to help lobby.

You could see if Linux Australia is interested in helping.
http://www.linux.org.au/

Rasjid.