journalling file systems

Matthew Hawkins matthew at topic.com.au
Thu Nov 29 12:14:26 EST 2001

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Kim Holburn wrote:
> Anyone know how stable these are?  reiserfs, ext3, is there one most
> people have settled on yet?  RH7.2 has ext3 is this useable/stable,
> with nfs?

I would guess most people are running reiserfs since it was out for 12
months or more before ext3.  I've used both, both with NFS, and I've
never had a problem bar one incidence of file corruption on a reiserfs
partition that was actually a non-reiserfs bug in the kernel.

I'm still trying to find the time to play with SGI's XFS and IBM's JFS.
I've heard good things about XFS when used in the appropriate situation.
I say that because they all have different strengths and weaknesses, its
really worth looking at the feature set of all, and compare benchmarks
under particular situations and have a good look at the needs fs-wise of
the applications you will be running to work out what will be best.
And not in a generic sense, for example some MTA's work the filesystem
differently to others, you really have to compare apples and apples.

I don't really recommend one over another, it all depends what you're
going to use it for.  Besides, anything that takes away half-hour fsck's
on boot is good :)

Cheers,

--
Matt