LINUX BUSINESS

Jim Watson jim at amarooas.com.au
Wed Nov 28 21:34:43 EST 2001

I am working in CANBERRA and would like to use
LINUX for my business but am having a few
frustrations.

The "Government Communications Unit" has a web
site which presents all government business
opportunities (requests for tender). The home page
says
"Welcome to this new version of our Site,
specifically designed to conform to all
Commonwealth Government web site guidelines. We
welcome your feedback."

If I follow the links to the tenders using
netscape 4.77 (linux) or netscape 4.78 (windows
98) or netscape 4.76 (windows 95 from a govt dept)
the pages are blank although view > pagesource
shows there is text there but it just can not be
seen. The "feedback" thingy does not work in
netscape either, so I phoned them up over a week
ago but nothing has been fixed. Is it true that
the "govt guidelines" require a MS IE browser? The
pages can be viewed after saving locally but not
on-line.

I use the stgeorge internet banking but since they
"upgraded" this a couple of weeks ago, the java
applet will not run from a local applet anymore
using netscape 4.78 although this version is
"supported", i have to download 300k applet every
time i connect. it used to work ok.

I use the quicktrade share trading site but the
research pages have not worked properly with
netscape on any platform since about 6 months ago.

I go to the tax office to lodge my superannuation
forms which MUST be lodged "electronically" but
the program is available only for MS windows and
Mac, it is +20Mgbytes of program download to
generate about 1kb of fixed width text file.

My question is this: can anyone point me to a
lobby GROUP i could join in CANBERRA that will try
and get the govt information and others to be
accessable to USERS of different platforms such as
LINUX?