Mozilla 0.9.6 problem

Simon Fowler simon at himi.org
Tue Nov 27 03:45:32 EST 2001

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:59:41AM +1100, jeremy at itassist.net.au wrote:
> On 26 Nov, Simon Fowler wrote:
>

> > I haven't had any stability problems with mozilla since 0.8.1, and
> > 0.8 kept on working perfectly for me until the next release . . . So
> > please forgive me if I get a bit pissed off at people ranting about
> > mozilla's stability problems when I never get to see them . . .
>
> Well you can't be using it as a web browser, then.  Try surfing the net
> with it.

This is getting ridiculous. You're completely ignoring what I'm
telling you. I use mozilla as a web browser. I use it every day, for
reading all sorts of sites, from Slashdot to Sluggy, and I DO NOT
HAVE PROBLEMS WITH IT!

> Oh no... wait... we have another bug report.  My g/f says she was using
> the browser with the dragon and it just crashed while she was
> netsurfing.  I'll be sure to put that in the bug-tracking database...
> they'll be delighted to hear that one.

Do you think /you'd/ be able to come up with a better bug report if
you put maybe five minutes effort into it? I'm assuming you have
some kind of qualifications, given your email comes from
'itassist.net.au'.

> Why do people keep pushing testing releases as "useful releases"?
> Usually anything marked 0.x means "still in development", except for the
> mozilla true believers for whom it means "almost but really not quite in
> development you should use it but we'll flip out if you mention it's not
> as stable as any other web browser you're a traitor to the open source
> movement if you use KDE you know"

Of course it's still in development. But then, /everything/ is still
in development, unless it's dead. Mozilla is taking a long time
about development, but then it's one of the most ambitious projects
out there.

Windowmaker is still at 0.70, and it's eminently useful - it has
been for me since 0.20, in fact. Just because something is still in
development doesn't mean it's not usable.

> > That's what bugzilla.mozilla.org is there for, and the various
> > mozilla lists/newsgroups . . .
>
> Oh yes.  I want to join the mailing list for mozilla, and TkRat, and
> Staroffice, and gtk-gnutella, and kword, and vi, and the linux kernel
> lists and lyx and gnome and Enlightenement and gimp and and and
>
> oh no.. wait.. I don't have to for all the rest *because they work*.
> Telling people they should join the mailing list just to get basic help
> getting it working is silly.  I should *just work*.

You're ignoring what I'm saying: it /does/ just work, for me and for
every other person I know and talk to regularly. I only ever see
people complaining on Slashdot.

Yes, it's still under development, yes it has bugs, but it /is/
eminently usable for me, and for most of the people I know. I might
be leery of asking my mother to install it, but having done so I'd
expect her to be able to run it without any problems. That's my
experience with it, and the experience of other people I know who
use it.

> >Yes, calling it whinging is a bit harsh, but I get kind of pissed
> >off at people complaining about mozilla being too buggy for them to
> >use, when I've been using it happily and with minimal fuss for ages.
>
> Hmmm.  So you don't have any troubles with it... must be the rest of the
> world who aren't up to scratch.

No, it's /you/ who doesn't seem to be up to scratch.

You might want to try and work out why you have problems with it,
rather than continue complaining about them. Or you might just shut
up and stop attacking a project that you're too lazy to even try and
assist in the most miniscule way.

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or ftp://bg77.anu.edu.au/pub/himi/himi.asc
(crappy) Homepage: http://bg77.anu.edu.au