Mozilla 0.9.6 problem

jeremy at itassist.net.au jeremy at itassist.net.au
Tue Nov 27 01:59:41 EST 2001

On 26 Nov, Simon Fowler wrote:

> I haven't had any stability problems with mozilla since 0.8.1, and
> 0.8 kept on working perfectly for me until the next release . . . So
> please forgive me if I get a bit pissed off at people ranting about
> mozilla's stability problems when I never get to see them . . .

Well you can't be using it as a web browser, then.  Try surfing the net
with it.

Oh no... wait... we have another bug report.  My g/f says she was using
the browser with the dragon and it just crashed while she was
netsurfing.  I'll be sure to put that in the bug-tracking database...
they'll be delighted to hear that one.

She's standing behind me at the moment, mumbling something about "you
said linux was good...  I just got to the page I wanted".  Like I don't
have enough trouble advocating Linux without it's programs crashing like
MS Explorer (remember most end users can't tell the diff between a
browser and an operating system).

Why do people keep pushing testing releases as "useful releases"?
Usually anything marked 0.x means "still in development", except for the
mozilla true believers for whom it means "almost but really not quite in
development you should use it but we'll flip out if you mention it's not
as stable as any other web browser you're a traitor to the open source
movement if you use KDE you know"

> That's what bugzilla.mozilla.org is there for, and the various
> mozilla lists/newsgroups . . .

Oh yes.  I want to join the mailing list for mozilla, and TkRat, and
Staroffice, and gtk-gnutella, and kword, and vi, and the linux kernel
lists and lyx and gnome and Enlightenement and gimp and and and

oh no.. wait.. I don't have to for all the rest *because they work*.
Telling people they should join the mailing list just to get basic help
getting it working is silly.  I should *just work*.

>Yes, calling it whinging is a bit harsh, but I get kind of pissed
>off at people complaining about mozilla being too buggy for them to
>use, when I've been using it happily and with minimal fuss for ages.

Hmmm.  So you don't have any troubles with it... must be the rest of the
world who aren't up to scratch.

I know what you feel like somedays... try going around telling people
you're a perl programmer.  People tend to come out with really
intelligent comments like "Perl... that looks like line noise.  Hyuk
hyuk hyuk".

--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,