Mozilla 0.9.6 problem

Jeremy jeremy at itassist.net.au
Mon Nov 26 15:18:38 EST 2001

> That's strange - I've been using it as my only browser since
> M17/M18, and had few problems with it. I've had every version since
> 0.8 running for weeks on end without crashing.
>
> Have you been using the binaries, or building from source? There
> were glibc version problems with the binaries and Debian
> Woody/unstable for a long time - they may have gone away now that
> Red Hat has caught up with glibc 2.2, but you're still probably
> better off building from source.

And people complain about my elitist attitude.  What is so unreasonable
about using a pre-built binary?  If the Debian package maintainer can't
build it right, I don't think I'd have a better chance.  I could spend a
whole evening compiling that mess, and then I'd still end up with a heavily
buggy product.

Note that I gave it a fair run - I used it before I switched to konqueror,
and occaisionally I give it another go.  But the poor thing gets hyped way
to much given it's severe stability problems.

> Aside from that you shouldn't have many problems with it. And if you

I'm sorry, aside from having to recompile from scratch every time a new
version comes out?

> do, please /please/ post a bug report. Whinging about things like
> that on this list is completely useless, whether it's problems with
> mozilla or konqueror or any other piece of software.

I prefer 'mutual commiseration', but I see your point.  Nonetheless it's a
good idea to check to see if your problem has an easy fix before bothering
the developers.

> PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or ftp://bg77.anu.edu.au/pub/himi/himi.asc
> (crappy) Homepage: http://bg77.anu.edu.au

Heh.  I used to be bgr68.

I fought Muhammed Ali,
I seduced Mata Hari,
I even wore a sari when I impersonated Ghandi,
and I dare any man here to call me a liar....