Mozilla 0.9.6 problem

Simon Fowler simon at himi.org
Mon Nov 26 13:27:45 EST 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 09:33:28AM +1100, jeremy at itassist.net.au wrote:
> On 26 Nov, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> > I decided to try this browser, what with claims that it actually is
> > usable.
>
> The open source movement has learned the art of vaporware, it seems.
>

> > When I click on a link I get a new window with it. When I
> > then click on another one I often get a missing page, and
>
> That's unusual.  When I use it, it crashes on the first link I click on.
>

> > I do not recall this problem from trying older Mozilla releases.
>
> .7x worked for me, everything else has been completely unusable.
>
> Regrettably they broke konquerer with the current release, and NetScrape
> has never quite worked properly.  Looks like it's back to Links, unless
> we want to try IE for unix.

That's strange - I've been using it as my only browser since
M17/M18, and had few problems with it. I've had every version since
0.8 running for weeks on end without crashing.

Have you been using the binaries, or building from source? There
were glibc version problems with the binaries and Debian
Woody/unstable for a long time - they may have gone away now that
Red Hat has caught up with glibc 2.2, but you're still probably
better off building from source.

Aside from that you shouldn't have many problems with it. And if you
do, please /please/ post a bug report. Whinging about things like
that on this list is completely useless, whether it's problems with
mozilla or konqueror or any other piece of software.

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or ftp://bg77.anu.edu.au/pub/himi/himi.asc
(crappy) Homepage: http://bg77.anu.edu.au