telemetry via print server

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Mon Nov 26 12:45:30 EST 2001

adrian wrote:

> We all know how to use the parallel port as a control/telemetry device.
>
> Has any body had experience in using an ethernet connected print server,
> one of those small boxes you attach to your network, for control
> applications ?
>
> Clearly it would not be possible to communicate to the hardware ports,
> but characters should be able to be sent to the networked "printer" and
> it should be possible to interpret the ACK, Busy, Paper Out & Error
> status indications.
>
> It would be necessary to set the printer as a generic/dumb device for
> simplicity.
>
> Adrian

I have seen old dotmatrix printers "adjusted" to perform all sorts
of bizarre functions, such as a CD juke box, using the existing
electronics and stepper motors etc. In this case, you could keep
the parallel interface from the print server to the printer electronics
intact, and wire up the paper-out detector etc. to sense whatever it
is your are interested in detecting etc.

Just an alteration on a theme.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.