Sharing apt cache across multiple machines

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Mon Nov 26 09:23:46 EST 2001

    Tim> On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 02:19:52PM +1100, James Macnicol wrote:

    >> I have a laptop with the bleeding-edge Debian on it which I
    >> occasionally take to a place with readily available bandwidth
    >> to update to the latest set of packages.  My desktop machine at
    >> home,

    Tim> apt-get install apt-proxy

Hey Tim!  That's not fair!  That'll only work if you run Debian!  :-)

The idea is that you point your /etc/apt/source.list files on a bunch
of machines at an apt-proxy instead of an official mirror, and it
builds a partial mirror on the server as it pulls down packages and
passes them along to you.  We run apt-proxy and when I want to upgrade
a box at home I just rsync (a subset of) the apt-proxy cache from the
server to my laptop.  I get the feeling that the latest version we run
here has some funky features that aren't in the released version.
Hopefully there'll be a new release some time soon!

A friend of mine uses apt-move (apt-get install apt-move) instead and
swears by it...

peace & happiness,
martin