Clug Notes (was Re: TransACT)

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Sun Nov 25 23:55:30 EST 2001

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 jeremy at itassist.net.au wrote:

> The answer was "no technical issue, we just don't do it"

Yup.

> Peter?

Here's the notes I took. As usual, they're fairly crap.
---
- transact peer-to-peer networking
 - Robert Eckerman, Matt, ???, Michael, Geoff
 - "opinion" floating around on the mailing list etc.
 - taking it as read we all know about TransACT (thank god)
  - leading edge
  - international interest to several emails per week
  - Phoenix, Arizona has a 26Mbit network
   - but it may be shared?
  - Full VOD is not supplied by any other mob
 - Peer-to-Peer _is_ going to happen
  - "Broadband user to Broadband user"
  - "Broadband user to Local Service, Content and Application providers"
   - ACT government
  - "Broadband user to ISP or other VPN providers"

 - ERX1400 router
  - 10Gbit backplane
   - all traffic goes through this
  - possibility of upgrading to 40Gbit when needed
  - generator backed....

 - bounces from the default "Virtual Router" to another "Virtual Router", which then uses Radious to authenticate you.
 - USER at L2TPISP gives access to
  - layer 2 tunneling protocol
  - transact does not get in the way
 - USER at ISP gives ISP access
  - if you have a real-world IP address
   - presumably routing is done with TransACT?
 - USER at TRANSACT
  - Another virtual router, given a STATIC 10.x.x.x address.
 - USER at TRANSACTISP
  - some funky stuff going on with interception of traffic etc etc... local stuff goes here,
 - speed capping
  - will apply to the private network
  - but may be able to have multiple VPNs, running at different speeds

 - recommend firewalls
  - not plans to supply firewall/blocking stuff themselves
  - address ranges to apply blocking on was suggested
   - that is, 10.0->127.x.x is open slather, 10.128->255.x.x disallows incoming to low ports etc etc etc

 - asymmetricity
  - partly the hardware vendors building their equipment for it...
  - purely configuration, though...
   - 6Mbit symmetrical sounds good....
  - mentioned "telehousing" again
   - rackspace at 1/2 commercial rate...
   - ~ $1000 per month for the first one per month

 - just starting to get to the corporate customers

 - caching
  - peer-to-peer links to other ISPs
  - no plans to provide any "TransACT caches"
  - idea of someone putting a publicly available proxy cache @ $2 per user etc
   - laws?

 - televisions feed content.... Radios?
  - they've looked at it....

 - ATM to each other???
  - they've  certainly looked at, but they're not sure if end users are interested....

 - two concurrent logons?
  - no!
   - by policy
  - possibly in future
 - possibility to allow you to change rates up/down on-the-fly

 - peer-to-peer and ISP at same time????
  - they're testing....
  - the ISP would have to help.
  - no technical problems...
   - there are already mutiple sessions e.g. video

 - current STBs can only really do 1Mbit... 10Mbit boxes next year.
  - very expensive boxes!

 - slides to come on the web

 - if you want to help TransACT, use their telephony services
  - they don't worry too much about IP based telephony

 - there are 4 pairs in cat-5
  - 52 Mbit per pair. do the math.

 - problem in Australia is  bringing the MB in in internationally.

 - Bob put the hard word... end of Novemeber?
  - "Some integration with the customer management system"....
  - programming needs to be doing
  - expected date:
   - none to give. Need to make an informed thingy.

Haskell, with Martin Schwenke
-----------------------------
 - it's really funky
 - the notes are available on the web at melvin.org(?)
 - these notes will only cover the "extras" Martin throws in...
 - booth talk in silly conference in Sydney...
  - 3 minute preparation in hotel room
 - this talk brought to you by emacs.
  - and the number 8.

 - Haskell
  - lazy functional
  - defined by the "Haskell Report"
  - http://haskel.org
  - made by academics

 - no variables
  - programming becomes simpler without them

 - lisp
  - good, but don't use setq ;-)

 - IO is a bugger
  - Miranda screwed that bit up
  - the pizza time limit means he can't tell us the secrets here...

 - call by vlaue/name, lazily
[ air guitar ]

 - digression into emacs 21
 - digression into Muilin Rouge

 - by "variable" it means "identifier"

 - low battery....

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\