(no subject)

Jeremy jeremy at itassist.net.au
Fri Nov 23 14:21:50 EST 2001

Simon:  It's not likely to be an endian problem since all useful data
interchange formats have exact specifications on byte order.  If this were
not true then you wouldn't even be able to view a jpeg from the web on
different machines.

Alexei Gorbatov writes:

> What I need -
>
>           I need to read a raw binary files from Linux and SUN Solaris at
> the same time.

First, find a chair with wheels.  Then on your linux box:

bash#  vi my_file.bin

Wheel your chair to your sun box:

#bash vi my_file.bin

There!  Easy.

> Problem -
>
>           The format of binary files is different below Linux and SUN
> Solaris.

How do you know?  Use the md5 program to calculate a checksum of the files
on both machines:

md5 my_file_name.bin

> Consequences -
>
>        When I read the raw binary file created below Linux with the program
> compiled on SUN Solaris, the program
> did not recognize correctly the format of binary file.
>
> Question -
>
>           How to compile the programs (below Linux or SUN) that they could
> create and read
> the binary file using the same format.

./Configure
make
make install

works for me most of the time.

Are you actually trying to get help with a problem or are you kindly
occupying my attention during an otherwise uneventful friday afternoon?

If you really want help, specify:

*The name and version of the program you are using (check BOTH machines)
*The brand, name, distribution and version of both operating systems
*The format of the file that you think you are using.

One of these days I'm going to write the HOWTO ask a question of a
helpdesk.