Sharing apt cache across multiple machines

James Macnicol jamesm at ee.adfa.edu.au
Fri Nov 23 14:19:52 EST 2001

Hello,

	I have a laptop with the bleeding-edge Debian on it which I
occasionally take to a place with readily available bandwidth to
update to the latest set of packages.  My desktop machine at home,
unfortunately, only has 56k modem connectivity and thus keeping it up
to date is a hassle.  Since all the downloaded .deb files are kept in
/var/cache/apt/archive (or whatever it's called) I would like to use
this to update my desktop box when it is connected to my laptop via
Ethernet.  Has anyone seen a definitive set of instructions on how to
do this ?  I'm thinking that there would be a number of other things
that would need to be made available such as the latest list of
packages for this to work.  This must be a common thing to want to do,
but I can't find the answer....

Thanks.

--
James Macnicol