telstra: no new ADSL connections

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Mon Nov 19 19:38:44 EST 2001

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 18:37, Bill Clarke wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i have it from a telstra source that telstra are no longer selling new
> ADSL connections (anywhere in australia).  apparently if you ask them
> for a connection they will give you the run-around.  expect a big
> brouhaha from the government when it gets public.  has anybody recently
> tried to get ADSL?
>
> cheers,
> /lib

Well, today I got a follow up call to my ADSL enquiry (which I made many
months ago).  They wanted to know if I was still interested.

I said that I'm probably going to go with TransACT, so I didn't actuallyy get
to find out if they would have said "well too bad we don't have any left".
But I would doubt that even Telstra would be paying someone to solicit new
connections if they didn't have any to offer (although I'm sure stranger
things have happened).

On a related note, one of the main reasons that I have decided to use
TransACT instead of Telstra ADSL is that I can host services if I want.  This
is explicity against the Residential ADSL AUP, and even if they are 'letting
people get away with it' I don't want to take the risk of a huge bill when
they change their mind.

Rasjid.