telstra: no new ADSL connections

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Mon Nov 19 14:26:10 EST 2001

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 07:13:45PM +1100, Peter Lavender wrote:
>   > i have it from a telstra source that telstra are no longer selling new
> > ADSL connections (anywhere in australia).  apparently if you ask them
> > for a connection they will give you the run-around.  expect a big
> > brouhaha from the government when it gets public.  has anybody recently
> > tried to get ADSL?
>
> I just got ADSL put in in that last 2 weeks...
>
> Was there a reason given?

I've heard a similiar rumour. I think you'll find that they have stopped
selling service only where their dslams (xDSL multiplexors) are out of
capacity.

I believe the reason is that the two vendors involved (Nortel and ?)
"disagreed" about some implementation problems and corrective solutions
and that one, Nortel, washed its hands of Telstra xDSL network --
apparently willing to pay $20M to do so.

Cheers,
Anand

--
 linux.org.au/conf/       | "Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a
 Attend. Learn. Advocate. |  subject ourselves, or we know where we can