Q: mouse resolution under X

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Nov 18 11:29:02 EST 2001

I recently moved from a serial mouse to a PS/2 mouse. So far so good.

The new mouse is a MS optical mouse, which according to my research
should have a resolution of 400 pixels-per-inch. Well, I ran the mouse
along a ruller and I get 18cm for a full 1600pixels which is equivalent
to 222p/i, way below spec.

I did ensure I do not have any acceleation set. In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

I did NOT set
	Option "Resolution"
in
	Section "InputDevice"

Anyone has an idea how I can get back the basic full resolution? Does
the X driver have anything to do with it? I run XFree86 4.0.2 with the
nvidia binary driver (1.0.1521, now upgrading to .1541). But I think
X uses a generic mouse driver anyway:
	(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o

Here are the relevant sections (/dev/mouse -> /dev/psaux):

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "ExplorerPS/2"