Telstra ADSL vs TransACT (was Re: TransACT@CLUG this month)

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Sat Nov 17 20:14:52 EST 2001

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 18:00, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> In order to prepare for this interesting presentation I will now
> grab this thread slightly OT.
>
> This sounds very interesting. While 'net access looks very much more
> expensive through TransACT (compared to Telstra 512k/128k at 3GB) one can
> see the trend with Telstra:
> 	1 - they effectively discontinued the 256k/64k plan
> 	2 - they chose NOT to cap at 3GB so a user now runs a risk of
> 	up to $40/h if they forget a live connection (TV? game?) overnight
> 	3 - they introduces 1.5m/256k at 5/10GB which look more like what
> 	they wanted to charge in the first place. This put (2) at $120/h.
>
> From the above I am left with a sense that they think the old plans
> were costed too low (relative to what it costs them? relative to
> what they can charge?) and they want to push everyone into a $200+/mon
> plan.
>
> So, when the dust settles, one wonders how bad the TransACT plans will
> look, especially with the peering service, and maybe some decent
> internal
> caching setup (one hopes).

I have just done a spreadsheet for quick calculation on Telstra ADSL prices
vs TransACT + WebOne prices.

I would prefer to post to individuals directly, so if you would like a copy
please email me off list.

I can send it in either gnumeric format or XLS format.

WebOne is way out in front, as there is no cheap Bigpond Direct option,
whereas WebOne is currently charging an extra $11 per month for a fixed IP.

If you have no desire for a fixed IP, the Telstra may still be cheaper.
However, their Residential Delux ADSL plan is seriously out of line with the
rest of thier charges.  I expect that they want to charge between $120 to
$140 per month for the 3GB plan.  Also, note that with the Residential plans
they count both upload and download in the usage, although I believe you are
not supposed to host anything anyway.

If it is possible to make use of the peer-to-peer thing and do some serious
caching, then in my view TransACT is looking pretty good even if you don't
want a fixed IP.

Rasjid.