RH 7.2 kernel rebuild problems

andrew at bishop.dropbear.id.au andrew at bishop.dropbear.id.au
Thu Nov 15 16:15:52 EST 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Tomasz Ciolek wrote:

[...]
> I have ran into strange behaviour with RH 7.2. After a kernel rebuild -
> a compile form source, I get a strange message on attempt to configure
> the network cards:
>
> some think like:
>
> dump: cannot connect
>
> and the configuration of the eth0 and eth1 fails horribly.
>
> reverting to the previous kernel and its all good...
>
> Any ideas what gives? is it a redhatism in their hidieously complicated
> network startup script?

Yes, it's a redhatism.  I can't remember exactly what it is that those
scripts expect to be able to do, however.

I remember encountering a similar problem.  Using the same kernel config I
had from redhat 7.1, eth0 would come up fine, but lo would fail (so I
could ping other mechaines, but not 127.0.0.1... that caused some
interesting problems :-)

I believe enabling one of the kernel netlink options 'fixes' the problem.
Alternatively, you could hack up the network scripts...

One of these days I'll get around to installing debian.  But not today.

Andrew