Vet AutoDownloader on Linux

David Murn scuffer at highway80.net.au
Wed Nov 14 12:54:24 EST 2001

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> Using tcpflow I have got the command to send.  I was trying to use an expect
> script as follows:
>
> [snip]
> send "GET
> /servlet/activeupdate?RequestId=2&CustNum=<CustomerNumber>&CustPwd=<Password>&FileName=10.2%2Faup_<FileNumber>.exe
> HTTP/1.1\n\n"

> However, the resulting file is no where near long enough (I guess the server
> is getting no response and stops sending data), and includes the initial
> server responses.

While others have suggested the fix, its more useful to know the reason
why it didnt work.  To start with the HTTP/1.1 part there will make it
send back HTTP/1.1 headers, without that part (as you noted) no headers
are sent.  Also, with HTTP/1.1 a few other headers can be sent and
sometimes are expected to be sent.  Something like "Host: www.vet.com.au"
or some sort of user-agent string possibly is needed.  But you'd also be
needing to strip off the headers, which programs like wget or lynx will do
silently for you.

Again, nothing really difficult to do, but could explain the problems
you're having.  As for your question about the server wanting a response,
this doesnt happen, the server doesnt require anything to be sent other
than the headers, ie. no sort of ack (other than tcp ack) is required to
be sent for every block downloaded.

Davey