networking for a Linux Newbie

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Tue Nov 13 21:53:11 EST 2001

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 09:37:45PM +1100, Travis Ecclestone wrote:
> I have set up the IP addresses and configured the network protocols and
> the Win machine will get a ping response from the Linux machine on the
> 127.0.0.1 IP address for the localhost.localdomain but when ever I try and
> get a ping response for the linux machine or the Win machine either using
> the IP addresses or the host names I get Destination Host Unreachable.
> Sometimes the Win machine tries to log onto the net.

OK, 127.0.0.1 is meaningless. That don't even go over the wire. That will
work even if you remove the network cards.

Try pinging 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, since that is what you set the
addresses to. Type route -n on the linux box and verify the 192.168.0.0
network is routed over eth0. There is a similar command on the windows box
to check that also.

Finally, read the Net-HOWTO. It's available on many sites and possibly even
installed already on your machine.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>