[SLUG] A file with no name (answered)

Stuart Cooper scooper at Informix.Com
Tue Nov 13 08:55:49 EST 2001

> OK, I should have RTFM man first.

> ls -lab show the file name to be "\ \ " so I have now answered my own
> question.

> Sorry for the noise (back into my box)

I didn't know about the -b flag to ls so I found this informative.

My traditional way of doing it (which also comes in handy in non-ls situations)
is to pipe the output into cat -vet.

$ ls -la | cat -vet
which will show end of line as $, and show unprintable characters and tabs.
I like those options to cat; I always think of it as "take your cat to the
vet" :)

cat -vet is very handy in finding mystery characters in config files and
makefiles as well.

Stuart.