dvd

Patrick Cole z at amused.net
Fri Nov 9 23:07:04 EST 2001

Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 10:06:35PM +1100, Wayne Vovil wrote:

> I have a Toshiba 2650XDVD Notebook. It came with
> Win98. I have W98 on 1st 1Gb partition, and the rest
> (4Gb) is SuSE 7.1 Prof Linux. I also run W98 under
> VMWARE Express.
>
> I wish to blow away the Win98 partition and run linux
> only; but with W98 on VMWARE. My questions are:
>
> Can I see DVD movies on linux? Can I use a DVD driver
> on W98 under VMWARE?

Your dvds should play fine under linux natively. Such players
as xine, mplayer, vlc and OMS will play dvds under most circumstances,
however, if you want to play encrypted dvds you will require
an extra plugin for xine to do this properly, or some very hackish
scripting using the available css tools to decrypt and pipe the data
to the dvd player.  Menus are mostly nonfunctional, however there
is a little work being done on that (xine-dvdnav).

--
Patrick Cole - Debian Developer <ltd at debian.org>
             - John Curtin, ANU <Patrick.Cole at anu.edu.au>