Linux scanner

Simon Krix kinsei at dingoblue.net.au
Fri Nov 9 21:46:16 EST 2001

Hi there,

> wow, this looks really interesting.
> i have built the jaycar kit, but not
> done anything much with it yet.
> also, have been hankering to do
> some reverse engineering on my
> scanner...
> will u be at next CLUG?
> could u bring that 74LS buffer board along,
> as i guess i'll be makin' one myself.

Sorry, I'm not a member of CLUG and I don't go to the meetings.
The buffer board is simple to make though... the IO card provides
+5v and ground outputs, so all it has on it is 3 8-bit buffers,
with the inputs connected to the parallel interface lines and the
outputs connected to the IO card. I'm not sure it's really even
needed.

Reverse-engineering a device is a fun challenge, and I definitely
recommend it (if you have a few months to devote to it) if you're
the pull-it-apart-and-see-how-it-works type. What type of scanner
do you have? The scanner should ideally support nibble-mode,
because anything done with hardware interrupts such as ECP or EPP
can often be too fast for the simple data capture these IO cards
can provide.

Best regards,

Simon Krix
--