Linux scanner

Simon Krix kinsei at dingoblue.net.au
Wed Nov 7 13:23:29 EST 2001

> Well, dick smith has a canon scanner which is supported by sane
> for $99 I
> think.  It was marked down to $88 a couple of months ago.  Full
> color
> flatbed scanner 1200dpi.

Actually, no driver exists for that scanner in SANE. There is a
preliminary fb630u driver coming just being started, but other
than that no USB scanners are supported by the Canon backend. Only
the CanoScan FB630P, FB330P, N640P and N340P parallel port
scanners are supported, by a driver project which I maintain,
though not yet completely (Canon, of course, have not even
bothered to reply to our requests for information. I have had to
reverse-engineer from scratch).

Since I'm typing this to the CLUG list, if there's anyone in the
Canberra area who has an N640P, N340P, or newer Canon
parallel-port scanner (I think there are 650s now) who'd like to
lend it to me for a weekend for the purposes of open-source driver
development, please email me.

The project: http://canon-fb330p.sourceforge.net/

Simon Krix

--