TransACT@CLUG this month

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Tue Nov 6 21:24:14 EST 2001

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 07:46:52PM +1100, Conrad Canterford wrote:
> Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how effective the, say, Telstra caching is? What is
> > their average hit ratio(% or volume)?
>
> I don't know about the ADSL plans or BigPuddle Home plans, but I'm
> assuming they're the same - with the BigPuddle Direct dial-up links all
> traffic to the cache is charged the same (lower) rate regardless of
> whether its a hit or a miss. You just point your web browser or local
> cache to the Telstra cache. All other traffic (email, IRC, etc) gets
> charged at the normal rate.

Big Pond Direct and Big Pond Home/ADSL have very little in common with
each other - different structure, different servers, different group
within Telstra organising it.  It is possible to get an ADSL Big Pond
Direct connection - in fact that's the only way to get a permanent IP,
but it is unbelievably expensive.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson