gtk+

jeremy at itassist.net.au jeremy at itassist.net.au
Fri Nov 2 18:54:50 EST 2001

On  2 Nov, dcg at cea.com.au wrote:

> Has anyone come across a GOOD web site for GTK+, I know there is
> gtk.org. What I'm after is some good examples of entering data -
> processing it - returning it to another entry_box...a bit like a
> calculator. I seam to come across the same doco's on this with things
> half explained, I'm sure this is fine for the Experienced but for
> somebody learning this it doesn't make it easy..

Read through the tutorial and use the provided code.  Once you are
finished with that you will understand enough to read the monstrous 50
page api reference.

GUI work is not inherently easy and open source gui stuff seems to be
particularily badly documented i.e. not at all.

Except for the perl/tk documentation which is very good and the
principles apply to any other gui toolkit, so have a look at that first.

In final desperation, grab hold of the Visual Basic manual and learn
your gui stuff off that.

I wrote a tutorial for getting started with Perl/GTK and glade, but I'm
guessing you're writing it in C, taking breaks only to hit yourself in
the head with a hammer.  Why don't you try something more pleasant, like
Tcl/Tk?  Or the KDE development IDE?

I bet there's an O'Reilly book for Gtk, if you have the cash to get it.

If you must work with GTK, use Glade.

--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,